March 27, 2007

The Meaning Of Success

Recently, one of my good friends finished her PhD. thesis, and a bug has been twirling inside me ever since. I have always wondered what we think of success and achievement. What exactly is the meaning of achieving something? Is it merely a fulfillment of one's goal or something else......something more?

The root of the question is... from where exactly does this goal emerge? I opine that most of the goals that we chase are either set by others, or even worse, not worth pursuing at all. So this blindfolded and single minded passion for achievement may all go down the drain if not focused in the right direction. But right now, we will assume that the goal is worth pursuing, for reasons to be discussed in future blogs( hopefully).

Each and every aspirant who is laboring towards success knows that the path is almost always difficult. But that seems to be the beauty of it. We are happy even when we are exhausted to our own limits. To take an example, say a sculptor working hard to make his statue sees a glimmer of happiness when he visualizes that the statue will come to fruition, even though it may take serious hard work to get there. Also, the happiness felt after reaching the goal is not just due to the fact that its over, but also due to the hardships endured along the way.

So we see that it is the work done towards the goal that makes success so sweet, and not just the achievement. As always, other views are welcome..

3 Comments:

At 7:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with you, it is the journey. I see it this way, for a goal to be achieved, many different energies have to be focused on it. If you do that part, sooner or later the energy will be transformed to an achievement, law of thermodynamics:)

 
At 2:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I opine that most of the goals that we chase are either set by others, or even worse, not worth pursuing at all."

I dont think so.. say I chose to do an MS because I feel and hope that I will get to learn something more, something better in the subjects that i m interested in.. not because people say that doing an MS in US will be a grt thing for the career.I dont even know where I will end up after that...although Its true that success is associated with lots of money,great job etc. in the society.. but i think wat can u do with ur knowledge so that it adds value to the society u r in.. to the people who really need it that is most important...

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Neonirvana said...

nt,

That is what I mean when I say that
most of our goals are chosen by others and not all. I am not saying hat everyone is like that, but this is the case with the majority.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home